[Home] [Master Table of Contents]

[Meeting Minutes Table of Contents]

Minutes for Technical Interchange Meeting #9 

AMC Delivery Order RL17, Parsons ES 728487.11000

Date: Thursday, 29 March 2001

Time: 9:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.

Place: Parsons Engineering Science

Subject: Analytical and GIS issues





Brian K. Murphy



Nancy Stine

AMC Contracting


Gerald Saulnier



Chris Beal



Ed Brown



Teri DuPriest



Joe Fernando

Informatics Team


Bill McGuire

Informatics Team


Bob Edwards



Jon Decker

Parsons ES


Jack Sullivan

Parsons ES


Susan Roberts

Parsons ES


Julie Burdey

Parsons ES


Ken Rice

Parsons ES


Tammy Chang

Parsons ES


Karuna Mirchandani

Parsons ES


Katherine LaPierre

Parsons ES


James Hinson

Parsons ES


The agenda for this meeting is presented in Attachment 1, and the meeting sign-in sheet is in Attachment 2. These meeting minutes are organized in the order of the agenda, not necessarily in the order they were discussed. The focus of these minutes is the agreed-upon action items of the team.


The meeting was opened with brief introductions. Brian Murphy then went over his objectives for the meeting and the issues under discussion as listed on the agenda (please see Attachment 1).

Analytical Issues

CSSA, AFCEE/ERC, Informatics, and WPI previously met in March 2001, and worked through analytical requirements for the CSSA environmental program. These requirements are captured in the “Minimum Requirements for a Chemistry Data Package for Review by AFCEE and CSSA Support Chemists” (see Attachment 3). Joe Fernando led the discussion on the chemistry review and new minimum requirements for analytical work at CSSA. The following lists those items agreed upon to be addressed in existing vs. future analytical packages. It is anticipated that once the requirements for the existing packages are worked out, weekly telecons with the on-board labs will be initiated through the duration of the existing lab package review process.

Because of the delays in data review, it is anticipated that several of the contracts (RL17, 33, 53, and 83) will require a period of performance (POP) modification to allow completion of the projects. It is anticipated that these contracts will have to be extended through November 2001. 

A telecon has been scheduled for 5 April 2001, including the participation of the laboratory APPL Inc.

Action Items

The following items are intended for those packages not yet approved, or for those packages to be prepared under current delivery orders for CSSA. It is assumed that the following action items will not apply to those packages already reviewed and approved.

Items to be Addressed in Existing Packages and Future* Packages

  1. The team will work through current and future issues within telecons and emails. The COR will be informed and involved on cost, schedule, scope, and contractual issues to be relayed to the CO.

  2. Weekly telecons will be established under additional costs to existing delivery orders to discuss outstanding and planned chemistry concerns. Cost and scope modifications to the existing Delivery Orders will be required to comply with on-going teleconference effort. It is anticipated that these modifications can be made at the same time the POPs are extended.

  3. The existing data packages will be as close to the “ideal package” as practicable and cost-effective. It was agreed that additional costs may be incurred for some items, and that Parsons will submit the request for additional costs within 3 weeks.

  4. Parsons will request that laboratories group CSSA samples in one analytical batch as much as possible/practicable. Note: this request cannot apply to those samples already analyzed.

  5. Parsons will continue to review the laboratory’s case narratives, and provide additional comments as necessary.

  6. Parsons will apply all flags in accordance with the AFCEE QAPP. However, Parsons will include the basis for the M-flag application in each DVR. If and when a laboratory flag is removed or changed, Parsons will provide an explanation on the same page of the laboratory report under the “Comments” section.

  7. A telecon on DQOs for the 1-page summary report of each data package will be held within the near future. A draft of a data package summary has been prepared by Parsons Engineering. Joe Fernando will provide comments on the summary report for review by the team.

  8. Parsons will provide a copy of each laboratory’s approved variances to AFCEE/ERC, WPI, Informatics, and 2 copies to CSSA. A copy of the variances needs to be placed in the Environmental Encyclopedia under the appropriate laboratory’s name and linked to their respective memorandums to the state and EPA to obtain their concurrence.

  9. If available for existing packages, Parsons will attach corrective action reports submitted by the laboratories.

  10. Checklists provided in any analytical packages to date will be left in the package. Parsons will discontinue submitting checklists in any analytical package submitted after the 3/29/01 meeting.

Items Pending Resolution on Whether to be Addressed in Existing Analytical Packages 

  1. At the 5 April telecon, issues with the APPL packages will be discussed, particularly in light of existing packages. See Attachment 4 for the 5 April 2001 telecon agenda with APPL.

  2. A telecon with O’Brien & Gere (OBG) will be scheduled within 2 weeks. At that telecon, issues with the OBG laboratory packages will be discussed, particularly in light of existing packages. See Attachment 5 for the upcoming OBG telecon agenda.

Items to be Addressed Only in Future Analytical Packages 

  1. Data packages will have the “ideal package” requirements, but the data usability requirements may differ. An example is the CSSA highest priority on groundwater samples.

  2. CSSA would like the team to sit down in advance of a project, and identify the necessary DQOs.

  3. The format and requirements of the electronic data deliverables (EDDs) should be discussed prior to the project.

  4. Parsons will include electronic COCs and pre-printed sample container labels, and receive approval from CSSA before initiation of field work.

  5. The laboratory(s) will be allowed to expand the AFCEE forms as necessary to provide additional/appropriate data submittals. Any alteration of the forms will require approval of CSSA and AFCEE chemists.

  6. In future packages the laboratory will provide case narratives. The list of target analytes will be given to the laboratory by the prime contractor at the beginning of the project, and the laboratory will incorporate the analyte list into the case narrative. Note: the list of target analytes may change over the course of each project.

  7. Reporting of all solids as dry weight (this item was identified as needing additional discussion with the laboratories prior to future contracts.)

  8. Establish a process for variances to the CSSA QAPP for timely reviews and documentation.

  9. Parsons will require corrective action reports to be submitted by the laboratories as part of the data packages.

Upcoming Schedule Items 

2 April 2001: Parsons to contact the project laboratories and request their review of new CSSA analytical requirements (action item underway).

3 April 2001: Parsons to submit these meeting minutes (submittal moved to 4 April 2001).

3 April 2001: Parsons to provide a copy of each laboratory’s approved variances to AFCEE/ERC, WPI, Informatics, and 2 copies to CSSA (submitted via US mail on 3 April 2001).

5 April 2001: Parsons to set a telecon with APPL, CSSA, AFCEE, WPI and Parsons. (telecon scheduled for 5 April at 11:00 am CDT). Discussion will include:


Which of the new CSSA analytical requirements can be addressed in existing packages, and which cannot?


M flags for groundwater samples


Corrective action reports


Internal standard tables

Week of 9 April 2001: Parsons to begin submittal of RL33 explosives data packages from DataChem.

Week of 16 April 2001: Parsons to begin submittal of RL74 data packages from O’Brien & Gere.

GIS Issues

Brian Murphy re-iterated his needs for the CSSA GIS as provided in the meeting agenda (see Attachment 1). Ken Rice provided a handout of 1) the draft prioritized list of remaining GIS work items 2) the draft suggested naming conventions for CSSA’s GIS folders and subfolders 3) an updated GIS task status table and 4) the AFCEE correction items originally provided from the November 20, 2000 RL53 TIM#3.

The draft prioritized list was reviewed and discussed to clarify the priority and the remaining work items. Brian agreed on the prioritization of the work items. The draft suggested naming conventions of the GIS folders and subfolders were noted as being complete due to Brian Murphy’s comments received in February 2001 regarding the suggested naming conventions. The remaining discussions were related to the CSSA GIS task status table. A review of items which required clarifications was discussed. Brian Murphy clarified concerns noted by Parsons regarding the completion of task items. Nancy Stine questioned whether there is expected to be a cost increase relating to the remaining work items. Ken Rice noted that no additional funding is required with the exception of completion of a GIS manual and the QC efforts required for RL53. The RL53 GIS data loading efforts requires Parsons to only QC 10 percent of the data imported into the CSSA GIS database. CSSA requires 100 percent QC efforts on all data loaded into the GIS database. The manual was originally provided September 24, 1997, therefore an update of this manual would require additional funding. CSSA agreed to the increase in costs and will await Parsons’ estimate.

Action Items - Parsons

The discussions and clarifications regarding the remaining task items resulted in the agreements/clarifications as listed below:

  1. Task No. 1G(4)(c) (page 4 of the task status handout) – Brian Murphy said that the historic maps indicated for importing into CSSA’s GIS were created by Parsons ES during the previous investigation efforts at SWMU B-20. These maps should be available in the SWMU B-20 RFI addendum dated June 1996.

  2. Task No. 1G(4)(g) (page 5 of the task status handout) – Brian Murphy agreed that the photograph location could be provided as an extension within the SDS database format.

  3. Task Nos. 1G(7)g),h),l) and n) (pages 7 and 8 of the task status handout) – Brian Murphy agreed that the data within the tables and figures listed should be made available in the CSSA GIS. However, the specific figures and tables as provided in the reference document do not need to be included in the GIS because of its inclusion in CSSA’s Electronic Environmental Encyclopedia.

  4. Task No. 1G(7)q) (page 8 of the task status handout) - Brian Murphy agreed that the weather data could be provided as an extension within the SDS database format.

  5. Task No. 10A (page 17 of the task status handout) – Brian Murphy indicated that the data which the Army Corps of Engineers is collecting will be provided to Parsons ES by CSSA.

  6. Task No. 11N(11) (page 21 of the task status handout) – Parsons ES requested the enhancement of the graphical user interface (GUI) be compiled using the existing Avenue coded GUI instead of the specified Visual Basic coding. Brian Murphy agreed.

  7. Task No. 11N(12) (page 22 of the task status handout) – Brian Murphy indicated, where applicable, all naming conventions/categorizations and/or labeling need to be identical to those used in the Agreed Order.

  8. Task No. 11N(13) (page 22 of the task status handout) – Brian Murphy indicated, that he will provide a listing and GPS locations of all the known confined spaces at CSSA for inclusion into CSSA’s GIS.

  9. Parsons ES will provide a draft GUI shell for CSSA to review before linking is accomplished. This item will be prepared and delivered to CSSA sometime during the week ending April 20, 2001.

  10. Parsons ES will provide the GIS completion plan drafted and delivered in December 2000. The completion plan will include an estimated schedule of all remaining task items.

Action Items - CSSA

  1. Task No. 11N(13) (page 22 of the task status handout) – Brian Murphy indicated, that he will provide a listing and GPS locations of all the known confined spaces at CSSA for inclusion into CSSA’s GIS.

  2. CSSA will host a GIS meeting. It is tentatively scheduled for April 18, 2001. At that time Parsons will deliver a GIS update that will include requested .APRs, a draft of the new GUI, and other relevant report graphics.

Attachment 1 - Agenda for AMC RL17 Technical Meeting #9

Date: Thursday, March 29, 2001

Time: 0900 – 1600 hours

Place: Parsons Engineering Science, Austin office

Discussion Items



0900 – 0915 hours

Introductions and Discussion of Meeting Objectives

0915 – 1015 hours

Analytical Packages and Evaluations

CSSA review of issues, concerns, and priorities

Handout: CSSA’s 3/28/01 objectives and priorities list

Discussion of CSSA’s issues from the 3/8/01 “Chemistry Review Process Meeting” with AFCEE, WPI and Informatics

Handout: CSSA’s 3/8/01 meeting minutes

1015 – 1030 hours


1030 – 1130 hours

Discussion of CSSA/AFCEE’s March 2001 “ideal” analytical package and current requirements for analytical reporting

Handout: CSSA/AFCEE’s “ideal” package

Discussion of agreed upon action items and tentative schedule

1200 – 1300 hours

Lunch break (for expediency, Parsons will have lunch delivered)

1300 – 1500 hours


CSSA discussion of issues, concerns, and priorities

CSSA’s requirements for the priority list:

  1. Complete data loading, and ensure QA/QC is completed.

  2. Ensure GIS/SDS functionality: the automatic links that tie attribute information from SDS to the various tables are associated in the APRs (project files).

  3. Data Naming conventions shall be changed to ensure user friendly names for the SDS layers, and front end easy access by expert and or novice GIS users.

  4. Update the GIS training manual or better yet identify what themes or projects are currently available in the GIS and provide a list of those items contracted for originally that have or will not be completed under any of the contracts*.

Discussion of prioritized GIS action items

Handout: January ’01 draft priority list

Status of GIS tasks

Handout: status table of AFCEE’s list of GIS tasks

Discussion of agreed upon action items and tentative schedule

1500 – 1515 hours


1515 – 1600 hours

Meeting Overview and Action Items

Parsons shall confirm to the government and its SETA contractors that information previously provided, and to be provided, is and will be input into the GIS. Parsons shall prove to users that the data are present in the GIS. The proof can be provided by mapping each of the APRs, tables, analytical data, logs, maps, grids, UXO, etc. to their location in the GIS.

CSSA Objectives

Move forward, teaming/partnership, and cooperative relationship with Parsons to get the work completed.

Determine what will Karuna's role be upon her return?

Reestablish a trust factor with Parsons in their verification processes. Parsons should catch issues before AFCEE or its contractors do.


  1. Groundwater - Totally defensible data for drinking water wells and screening for monitoring wells.

  2. Background

  3. Rework

  4. SWMUs

  5. AOCs

Data Packages

Verified 100% by Parsons and that the field work, laboratory, and Parsons' performance have been completed per the tasks in the contracts.

Determine who needs to make changes to existing packages (Parsons and/or labs)?

Who prepares AFCEE forms? Is it electronic or hard copy?

"Ideal Package" concept.

Provide DQOs with each data package.

Sample Collection

Managed field effort with labs - batches, sample days, and all is coordinated with labs.

Sample IDs per the FSP.

Plan chemistry around DQOs and work plans.

Future work shall provide for pre-printed sample container labels and COCs electronically. CSSA shall concur with samples before field work is performed.


Provide all necessary QA/QC data for reviews and verification processes, such as SPCC, ICAL, ICV, LCS, MS/MSD, and calibration range.

Parsons shall get calibration data for ICP and GFAA.

Sample Management

QC for each machine - streamline or efficiently use the labs resources when necessary.


Follow QAPP - explain changes to flags in verification report (discuss whether lab or professional judgment is being used).


Shall be performed among the team at Parsons (chemists, task managers, project managers, etc.) and not by any one group by themselves.


Attachment 2 - Meeting Sign-In Sheet


Attachment 3 - Minimum Requirements for Chemistry Data Packages for Review by AFCEE and CSSA Support Chemists

Item No.

CSSA Requirement

Parsons’ Comments



The following are guidelines to Parsons’ project manager/task managers responsible for assembling data packages for CSSA. These data packages are to be reviewed by AFCEE and CSSA support chemists. The purpose of the review is to confirm that quality of the data has been established by the prime contractor’s verification process



Each reviewer should get a copy of the variances granted by AFCEE/CSSA. This variance package should include variances granted to all the laboratories participating in the CSSA environmental programs, and should specify that variances are granted for a specific project, a phase of the project or program-wide. Letters of approval authorizing the variances should be included. At the present time only six copies of this variance report is needed (one for each reviewer and one for Brian)

Concur. Parsons would like to discuss status of variance approvals received to date.


Analytical Package



Unless otherwise specified Raw Data (instrument print out, chromatograms etc.) are not required for a package. CSSA reserves the right to obtain specific raw data packages when necessary.

Concur. Previously, CSSA has requested the entire data package , including raw data, be submitted upon completion of the project for storage. Parsons requests clarification as whether to continue this action.


The package must include:



(1) Chain of custody forms relevant to a package



(2) Field and laboratory cross reference identification forms (e.g., AFCEE FORM I-1).



(3) Relevant AFCEE forms for reporting calibration and quality control events for all the methods in a group of samples for a matrix.

-As a minimum AFCEE forms to report instrument tune, holding times, initial calibration, second source verification, continuing calibration verification, method blanks, laboratory control samples, matrix spike and matrix spike duplicates, surrogates and other method specific quality control information must be included.


Parsons requests clarification on “other method specific quality control information.”


(4) Relevant analyses data sheets for each method and sample (see AFCEE Form I-2 or O-2)

Concur. Parsons requests clarification on reporting MS and MSD results on I-2 and O-2 forms.


(5) Case narratives for each analytical batch(s) by method.

Case narratives should include information that adversely affects the quality of the data or state that no problems were encountered. Problems relating to insufficient sample volumes, sample dilutions, missed holding times, out of control events and corrective actions should be discussed. The laboratory generates case narratives.

Concur. Parsons would like to note that additional information concerning the lab case narratives will be included in the data verification report.


(6) Corrective action reports that are specific to the packages.

To date, this type of report has not been a part of project requirements, and therefore, is not available for the 130+ packages currently in house. However, Parsons concurs that this reporting will be required for future work, and requests government input on lab problems or issues which will require a Corrective Action Report beyond those items discussed in the lab case narrative.


(7) A data verification report from the prime contractor. 

The verification report is a SUMMARY of the prime contractor’s assessment of the quality of the data in that package. It is NOT a copy of complete checklist used during the verification process.

The verification report must explain any changes to qualified results (flags) and any professional judgment used during the verification process.


Concur. Parsons requests clarification on whether copies of primary and secondary checklists should continue to be included with each data package, as requested during the 15 Dec 00 meeting at CSSA. Regarding flags, based on previous teleconferences and guidance, Parsons requests clarification and discussion with the team.


(8) A project summary report (no more than one page)

A project summary report should associate the data package(s) to a specific project (background study, quarterly GW monitoring, SVE, Soil gas survey etc.). The report should include a short summary of applicable previous findings, the DQO for the project, risk drivers and regulatory action levels for closure. In particular, a discussion of the relationship between project reporting limits and the action levels should be included.

Parsons requests discussion of this requirement.

Attachment 4 - 5 April 2001 Telecon Agenda with APPL Laboratory

  1. Participate weekly teleconference call with AFCEE/CSSA/Parsons, when necessary.

  2. Provide list of analyte in future case narratives.

  3. Batch CSSA samples together as much as possible.

  4. Keep IDs consistently throughout each report, including field samples, MS/MSD, method blank, ICV, CCV, LCS, etc.

  5. Calculate and report %D for the dilution test and %R for the recovery test of all metals in future case narratives.

  6. Discuss proper reporting units and concentrations used in ICALs for soil and water samples.

  7. Modify the AFCEE ICAL form in order to include all calibration points used in future ICALs.

  8. Determine % moisture from the parent sample and use the same % moisture number for MS & MSD samples in future reports. Report MS & MSD results including surrogate recoveries with I-2 or O-2 form.

  9. Provide summary table in future packages for internal standard peak area counts and retention time for all injections.

  10. Either modify the Instrument Injection Sequence AFCEE form to include lab sample IDs instead field sample IDs or replace the AFCEE form with APPL’s run log in future data packages. 

  11. Provide corrective action reports whenever necessary according to AFCEE QAPP.

  12. Include sample weights in future AFCEE data packages.

Attachment 5 - Agenda for Future Telecon with O’Brien & Gere Laboratories

  1. Participate weekly teleconference call with AFCEE/CSSA/Parsons, when necessary.

  2. Batch CSSA samples together as much as possible.

  3. Provide SPCC compounds for all ICV/CCV samples per priority data package list supplied and for all future data package submittals.

  4. Provide additional information on lab version of I-3 ICAL forms for ICAP for past packages according to SPCC priority data package list and for all future data package submittals.

  5. Provide corrective action reports as part of Sample Data Summary Package whenever necessary according to AFCEE QAPP. 

  6. Calculate %D for the dilution test and %R for the recovery test and report results for all metals in case narratives in all future data package submittals.

  7. Provide summary table of internal standard peak area counts for all injections in all future Sample Data Summary Package submittals. 

  8. Future contracts will require lab to provide list of analytes (if a list other than the full AFCEE list is reported) in all case narratives. 

  9. Future contracts will require lab to include percent moisture and soil aliquot sample weights in as part of all Sample Data Summary Packages.

Minutes prepared by Susan Roberts, Parsons ES.

* Future packages are those not under a current contract. Existing packages are those currently under contract.